Saturday, March 26, 2011

Further thoughts on Sahagun

The 8th Dragoons - who were better boules players than they were cavalrymen

Long day today - though stripping the wallpaper in the games room is finally finished (many thanks to Mr E), the kitchen is ready for a cooker and the bathroom will be ready for tiling after the weekend. I also managed to achieve some other short term goals.

I spent a very pleasant evening in the pub last night, during which we playtested Donogh's Sacile scenario. I played it twice, beating Donogh 6-4 and being beaten 6-3 in turn by Marshall Du Gorman, that most dastardly of Napoleon's henchmen. It was a big scenario, but I think Donogh's adaptions for the Austrians were rather good and the balance is almost right. I believe the Austrian cavalry were a little better than he gave them credit for, but other than that he may have hit the nail on the head.

My Sahagun scenario took rather more work, though we managed to play it five times.

What was learned?

- Command & Colours: Napoleons mainly represents engagements at Divisional level and above. The British cavalry did not shine at this level of engagement, but did rather better at the lower level. I decided the way to reflect this was to reduce the number of blocks in some of the French units, making the French worse rather than the British better.

- Sahagun was a famous victory precisely because it was unlikely, a force of light cavalry taking on twice their numbers, half of whom are heavies. The trick is to slant the scenario in such a way that the British player has a chance of achieving his unlikely victory, but the French players hands aren't completely tied. This was difficult, but I think I've managed it.

- Because it's an entirely cavalry engagement, its very fast and is a rather crash-bang-wallop affair. As a result its well suited to The Command & Colours: Napoleonics - Sahagun Drinking Game.

The rules of the above are as follows.

Lose a unit, take a drink.
Kill a unit, take a drink.

If the British player plays Short of Supplies, the French player may negate it by downing his pint in one and saying "That Damn Fool Slade!"

If the French player plays First Strike, the British player may negate it by downing his pint in one and saying "Emsdorf and victory!"

Fortunately, for the gaming public, I should be able to put Sahagun before you shortly. I have downloaded the Vassal map editor and I should wrestle it into some sort of shape by tomorrow. Until then, Emsdorf and victory!



5 comments:

  1. Aha! You just said "Emsdorf and victory!" . . . did you down your pint in one, sir? Well, did you?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly no - I did take a very determined sip from my tea though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering from your earlier post how you were going to control how many times the special phrases could be used in game! Doubtless against M. Gorman you will find it impossible to play Short of Supplies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donogh, I think we both know I have the humility to know my own limitations and know that taking on Gorman in a drinking contest would be madness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I will try- espeially the drinking part! I have a band of mates who would really go for this,

    ReplyDelete