Friday, August 19, 2011

Cold War News


Captain Rupert and his trusty radio operator, Digby looking for trouble on the outskirts of Hanover, August 1984. (click to embiggen)

(Liberation miniatures with some green stuff additions, painted by Conrad Kinch)


Digby's getup is based on this iconic image of the Falklands war. I'm still trying to find the correct attribution. Could you drop me a line if you know?

Soviet Motor Rifle troops moving through the suburbs of Hanover, August 1984
(Elheim miniatures painted by Conrad Kinch, building by Conflix)
(click to embiggen)

Hmmm, is that fellow behind the window the section corporal?
(click to embiggen)


Maybe it's the chap posing for the Komosol poster
(click to embiggen)

I've been painting Cold War figures for Force on Force, though I think the buildings are going to present more of a problem as you need quite a few of them. I'd like to do something specific to the period and not re-use my Second World War stuff. This is not an issue that is going to vex me much as I have bigger fish to fry. I have two projects due in October, a LARP based on Space 1889 by Frank Chadwick and a large scale Command & Colours: Napoleonics game with multiple players. These are projects that come with a deadline and I'm really going to have to get my finger out designing scenarios and adding polish to what is already a relatively good looking collection.



8 comments:

  1. Lovely figures Conrad. The falklands photo is very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CK here you go..

    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article231207.ece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embiggen...what a beautiful word! Mine is 'rethunked'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo's and miniatures! I always liked the falkland photo.

    http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those Elheim figures! Ok so all the painted stuff looks good, but the sculpting underneath is..ooh look they have Indians and Pakistanis...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks chaps.

    Steve - I can't seem to get that URL to work. By the way, are you familiar a picture I think it was from around the time of the Falklands of Samantha Fox topless in a Skorpion tank? I remain firmly convinced that I've seen that picture somewhere.

    Maverick - Sadly, I can't take credit for Embiggen.

    Ross - They have a fella in a turban with a sterling. If I could think of a reason to have him without starting a new period...

    ReplyDelete
  7. CK - try this one...

    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/231207/I-was-one-of-the-lucky-ones.html?print=yes

    ...otherwise google:

    Pete Holdgate war photographer

    ...amazing picture... as must have been the picture of the lovely Sam! :o))

    ReplyDelete