Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Drummer 1st Dublin Volunteers - Mr Johnston - Part 1

A rather ham fisted photograph of a rather special figure

There are some debts that can never be repaid, but it behooves us to try. Mrs Kinch's uncle rescued us when we were in dire straits some years ago. He's a man who appreciates a large scale model soldier. I had purchased some 120mm figures for him a while ago, but when I saw this, I knew I had to get it for him.

This is number 8 of 200 specially made resin figures made to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Irish Model Soldier Society. Mrs Kinch's grandfather and great uncle were founder members, but Mrs Kinch the uncle hasn't attended in years. The figure is a drummer of the 1st Regiment Dublin Volunteers. These were territorial troops raised during the 18th century to stave off Frenchy while the proper redcoats were off in America. A muster of the Volunteers was painted by Dennis Wheatley and the figure was modelled on one of the men pictured. The chap in question has been identified as a Mr Johnston, who later became a porter at Carton House. The picture currently hangs in the national gallery.


I took the pieces apart and gave them a wash with warm soapy water and then trimmed each piece with a stanley blade. I must say this was a great deal easier than my last effort. The resin cut more easily, the detail was finer and the model required hardly any filling at all.


Mr Johnston, ready for undercoating

You'll notice I've placed a small blob of blu-tack at Johnston's waist. His drum attaches by means of a pin and I thought it best to mask the hole so that when I do glue it in place, I won't be gluing it to paint and I should therefore get a strong joint.

With most of the work that was so time consuming with my last figure done, I'm looking forward to launching straight into painting.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful miniature, been thinking about doing some large scale work myself next year, good luck with the project.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tis a fine figure, hats off to the IMSS for commissioning such an excellent subject as an anniversary figure. Before passing on to Mrs K's uncle I hope you will photograph the finished article and whilst he enjoys it give the rest of us a chance to savour it through the vicarious medium of your blog

    ReplyDelete