Sunday, February 16, 2014

British QF 2-pdr Anti-Tank Gun


This is one of Zvesda's Art of Tactic kits. I can't remember exactly when or why exactly I picked it up, but it was certainly only around €3 or €4. This is the 2lb (that's 40mm in new money) anti-tank gun that the British Expeditionary Force took to France at the outbreak of the war.



Regular readers will not doubt be bored stiff with this, but Zvesda have yet again produced an excellent, cleanly cast kit in glueable hard plastic.  The detail is fine, the construction relatively rugged considering the slender nature of the model and the price is right - there is a lot to like here.





Just about the only bad thing I can say about this kit is that it is snap together.  All the parts just click into place without any need for glue.  This does mean that if you try and put the kit together dry, just to test things out in the hope of taking it apart and gluing it for safety, you won't be able to. The fit is just that good. This created some problems for me as the gun carriage is quite slim and delicate and I wasn't able to get the good fit I was hoping for.  The trunnions and tube sit atop a turntable arrangement, which then sits on top of the carriage. I unfortunately had already pushed the carriage down into the base. I managed to get the turntable on top to fit in - sort of - but wasn't able to give it the kind of pressure that was needed for a really snug fit. I ended up lashing some liquid poly in there just to be sure. 



Forward thinking types could avoid this particular difficulty, but fixing the carriage to the plate last, which would leave you plenty of space to make a proper job of squishing the parts together.

So there you have it, a slim, beautiful little piece of work for pocket money prices.  Well done Zvesda I say. I will be painting mine up in Early War livery and I suspect it will be doing duty both in the Low Countries and during the VBCW. 

11 comments:

  1. I do like the Zvezda kit - it's endlessly ingenious... it looks like you have a plug hole at the back of the base for something else.. another crew member?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fits a flag that is used in the Art of Tactic game. I may lay in a few more of these.

      Neat aren't they though?

      Delete
  2. I've been tempted by this, even though I have exactly no use for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's hardly an excuse is it.

      Delete
    2. It really isn't. I'll end up buying one someday to make change for the bus or something... and then I'll need a BEF to go with it. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. A very nice bit of kit - with an absolutely essential base. Widely used too - so useful. Top banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fine - who else was using it ? I thought it was mostly a British outfit.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps I should learn to write English! Instead of 'widely', I should have written 'used for a fair time', or some such. It was, of course, used in France in 1940, and the Western Desert, and East Africa, but for almost the whole war on the Home Front, eventually turning up in the hands of the Home Guard. There are still plenty of pillboxes around in the UK with large embrasures that were for the 2 pounder. So, apologies for m'poor English.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done on the kit build. It really is quite a lovely weapon. Here's my take on the same subject: http://thedancingcaketin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/ordnance-qf-2-pounder-atg-really-crap.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought three of the figure sets the other day, only 4 per box, but the most exquisite figures and 1.99 each, a nice way to build armies (or just collect figures!).

    H

    ReplyDelete
  6. A long time ago but...... the barrel is upside down!

    ReplyDelete