Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Cuirassier at the Retreat from Moscow


Paris is that way

Life here at Kinch Court has been rattling along as usual.  The Kinchlets are ever a delight, albeit a somewhat sticky and malodorous delight at times. Lack of time and the problem with my eyesight has made painting a very occasional pleasure, however, I can still enjoy the fruits of others labours.

Our man in Hungary sent this fine fellow several months ago and he is currently guarding one of the bookshelves in the library. The kit is from of MB and is an unusual piece.  Generally it's up to the model maker to create the scene, but this one comes as you see it.



Makes me shiver even looking at it

Victory has a thousand fathers while defeat is an orphan as the Chinese saying goes, but I'd be confident in saying that the 1812 campaign marked the beginning of the end for the Napoleonic domination of Europe.  It's not an aspect of the period that I know enough about, but I will have to address that once I can really read again. 

Our man in Budapest has definitely done an excellent job though.  The horse in particular is a delight.  I was almost tempted to add a small wisp of teddy bear stuffing to the figures, to show their breath - but would be gilding the lilly.  His work stands on its own. 

The level of detail and shading on the colours is excellent


Sir Harry Flashman VC is going to begin a new and exciting chapter in his life

Otherwise the days are just packed, but with those small family dramas and pleasures that are of interest to those concerned in them and to few others.  One thing that I have done is dig out one of the novels  that I wrote before I started my current job.  The thing is broadly speaking in publishable form, has been edited within an inch of its life and Capability Savage has done some really topping work on the layout and such.  

Mrs Kinch has been literally and figuratively kicking me in the seat of the pants to get some of it into print and she has finally won the day.  

I've never had great luck with fiction.  I've always written it, but I've never really had any success with getting it published.  To be honest, the idea of letting it out into the wild is making me slightly queasy.  The idea that my baby will be heading out into the cold cruel world on its own is unsettling. Not least because it may not be any good - it may be the same when it is time to send the children to school.  Presumably it will be worse, but for all that expect to see a book with my name on it appearing for sale relatively soon.  



Speaking of books, our cuirassier has taken up his post defending the bookshelves from the barbarians. 



6 comments:

  1. That's lovely work and a very nice gesture.

    I like the look of that bookshelf, too - I hope 'The Glass Bead Game' is somewhere off to right of shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    A truly wonderful vignette!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful vignette...and baby...and cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracking looking figures , good luck with the book , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pic of baby cat-hunter and just wait until your two little 'uns start rolling in mud like my hounds of hell!!!
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete