Sunday, July 30, 2017

Hurrah for the Portuguese

A French column marches on Le Cor's men. 
(Please click to enlarge)

One interesting side effect of last week's entry was an email from a regular reader of Joy & Forgetfulness, who was not aware that I write regularly for Miniature Wargames. I shall save the poor chaps blushes as he is a subscriber and had been reading "Send three & fourpence" for a while, but had never connected the two. 

Keeping up the column has taken more application that usual over the last year - but as my faculties improve it is getting easier.  It also gave me the excuse to have a look at the battle of St. Pierre, part of the 1813 battle of the Nive, where Sir Rowland "Daddy" Hill held off far superior numbers under Marshall Soult. A goodly portion of his forces were Portuguese and I found that after taking the pictures for the article, I had completely missed out the "Fighting Cocks" of the army.  The scenario will be appearing in the next issue of Miniature Wargames.  It was a bit of a challenge, as the battle itself involved the defender facing two to one odds and winning.  


The view from the French side
(Please click to enlarge)


My miniature photography is slowly improving, but I really need to work on my post production. The white balance in these is all over the place. That background could do with a bit of an iron as well.


I might have tilted the camera slightly, er, 
what I mean is I tried out some Rodchenko angles
(Please click to enlarge)


It seems ungrateful  as these fine fellows have done Trojan service over the last few years, but the Ykreol plastics are without doubt some of the most lumpen figures in my collection.  If only I had realised that HAT Peninsula British would do as well with a lick of blue paint.

With drums beating the pas de charge - the French close on the Portuguese line
(Please click to enlarge)


On the other hand, my venerable NIKON D40 is still doing stalwart service, even if it does excite some eyerolling when it is produced in public.  It isn't broken, it takes perfectly good photographs and I see no reason to go for a more expensive option.

The Portuguese musketry begins to tell
(Please click to enlarge)

Arranging some toy soldiers for photos is actually a very pleasant pastime and I should do it more often.  I've never really understood the diorama impulse before, but I think its attractions are beginning to dawn on me. 


....and casualties begin to mount. 
(Please click to enlarge)


French peasants regard the occupation forces with curiosity tinged with fear
(Please click to enlarge)




The chaplain from one of the British regiments converses with some local monks
(Please click to enlarge)



The ill fated Col. Bunbury makes inquiry of the corporal on guard 
(Please click to enlarge)

I hope you've enjoyed these. I certainly enjoy taking them. Perhaps we might see a little 
more of this sort of thing. 

12 comments:

  1. Love the site of 1/72 Napoleonics ( I am painting some quite now). I struggle with photos though but your are quite good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jacko. I'm trying to get better at it.

      Delete
  2. I like the photos. Somehow I get a sort of Featherstone "vibe" from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't wearing a tie when they were taken.

      Dressing gown and slippers, yes. Tie, no.

      Delete
  3. Yes, please! Your photographs above make me want to stage a few shots here.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to it Von Boffke. Your stuff is generally very well photographed.

      Delete
  4. The pictures are wonderful and yes, we should see more of this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still regard the Old Guard march past on your blog with an entirely unbecoming envy.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy your game photos. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyable pics. I like 1,2 and 4 best. I thought the wrinkles in the backdrop felt like the heat and concussion of all that gunfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Ross. I'm trying to find something that will work as a permanent backing for it.

      Delete